A customer’s Aerospace division had risen to the challenge of today’s intense competitive pressures through a major reorganization that began to consolidate facilities and reduce costs.
But there was at least one area officials hadn’t fully explored for performance upgrade: test and measurement capital equipment.
- Over 150,000 assets
- 15 facilities in North America
- But no comprehensive data about what was where, who was using what and what shape it was in.
These unknowns were anathema to the company’s data-driven, engineering-focused culture. Company leaders realized that not knowing the answers quickly translated into excessive hidden costs of ownership – equipment purchases, property taxes, storage space, calibration & maintenance, rental & lease costs, distractions of key technical staff, etc.
With demand for capital out-stripping supply, there was a clear need and plenty of room for dramatic improvement.
A blueprint defined the essential elements of the solution. The goal was to launch Scireo at one location, then implement it across the company.
Scireo consultants and the company’s in-house equipment service team worked together to audit existing equipment, set up tailored processes and refined metric responsibilities – and introduce it at the beta site in just two weeks.
It didn’t take much longer for company leaders to see that the new system was working, leading to a rapid rollout:
- 14 additional locations
- 9-month implementation
- Total of 90,000 assets brought into the system
The keystone of the solution is Scireo's expert knowledge base and algorithms, built in knowledge that measures utilization and provides real-time information on specific pieces of equipment – leading to smarter, more cost-effective decisions about every asset. In addition, Scireo helped change outdated cultural dynamics that lead to quick adoption by labs and middle management as a mechanism to reduce costs.
The company-wide implementation of Scireo led to several rapid, significant improvements, most notably:
- Major reductions in human capital – the labor associated with tracking, maintaining and managing the company’s vital assets.
- A significant increase in the ability to fund new projects in engineering.
- Greater visibility to future resource constraints and available contingencies across multiple locations, enabling a shift from reactive to proactive responsiveness and an increase in operational responsiveness and customer satisfaction.
- Savings that exceeded the customer's already aggressive pro-forma goal by more than 20 percent.
Results produced with the help of Scireo were so substantial that the project recently won the company’s enterprise award, which recognizes projects that accelerate time-to-market by reducing costs and enabling innovation. The project won in the “largest business impact” category.